If mobile ad revenue is troubling you, this one is for you. You are creating viral content. Tick, Tock. The traffic is multiplying. Tick, Tock. But still terrible mobile ad revenue? It’s nothing new these days to have bad mobile ad RPM if you compare them between desktop and tablet RPM. If your mobile ad revenue is half of desktop or tablet, I would say it is fantastic and you can stop reading this article! Mobile usage have aggressively elevated over the years and will continue to grow for a few more years before that rate saturates. More users continue switching to online data consumption from conventional print or satellite media.
Your desktop and tablet RPM are satisfactory and what can you do to increase mobile ad revenue? Well, mobile ad revenues are going to be less than desktop and tablet RPM. You can work to improve the revenue but you will not surpass desktop and tablet revenue in the current scenario. You will have to agree that your content is now accessible for someone who is traveling in a bus, waiting at an airport or standing in a queue. These users have trained their eyes to ignore the ads in that tiny piece of display device that (almost) fits their palm.
It doesn’t mean that you have to ignore mobile ad revenue. There are a few techniques you can start with, but remember that results will not be instantaneous to increase mobile ad revenue. Study each changes, techniques and review it in a time box. Using the permutation and combination of your best results, find your best possible way to generate maximum revenue. Though media is a broad category, ad revenue here depends a lot on the medium of content delivery – video, images or text. Naturally video aggregators will have more ad revenue than multimedia content delivery platforms. Here are 5 of the best techniques you will hear from ad revenue experts to help you re-strategize and increase your mobile ad revenue.
- User Interface and Mobile: When the desktop site is being designed, give equal importance to mobile and tablet. Responsive is a must need if your interface is limited to a website. If there is a purpose for a mobile app, don’t hesitate as a mobile app increases the engagement pattern with a user. Push notification and native functions of the phone are more engaging with users than a responsive site (which is better than a mobile site though). The more a user interacts, more the chances to click on an ad.
Follow the best UI practices for a mobile screen size with minimizing the buttons and layouts. Your users know that they will find ads on your page, then use the ad space smartly and optimally that the user will respect you for clearly indicating that you have left that space for an ad and you’re not forcing them to click on it. Using hamburger menu or a mobile menu will free the screen space and the page can be optimally designed for content readability and ad discoverability. At the end of the day, designers are our masters, they will do their best to keep it smooth and clean.
There are screen anchor ads, which sticks to the bottom of the page and crawls down through your navigation until it is replaced by a button or however the ad is designed to function as. Though anchor ads annoy the sh*t out of a user when they navigate as it sticks to the screen unless you try and close it, their discoverability is higher increasing the chances for higher click rate. Also, avoid pop-up ads. Though the chances of the user accidentally end up clicking on a pop-up ad is higher, the user experience is destroyed. The thumb rule is to give the best experience. Work on the quality of the content and design of the website that the user ends up coming back to the website and spend quality time on the content provided and you will no longer need to worry about the revenue. These users will bring in more traffic for you.
- Content Discoverability: Remember that the content you generate itself has to be discoverable for organic traffic. Increase the breadcrumbs leading to your website by stretching your presence and activities to multiple social feeds, forums, communities and blogs. Use best practices of SEO to get your page ranked on google search. Keep the title of the page close to the context and relevance of the content of the page. You wouldn’t want to mislead someone with the title to end up losing your user’s trust. The quality of the content has to be exciting and engaging throughout so that the user reaches the end of the page and grows trust with the content provider. Have share buttons towards the end of the page to other social media platforms and a click to copy link button so that user can directly share the link to your page with their peers. As the user approaches the bottom of the page, have a layout for suggested, related or popular topics so that the user continues to navigate. The key factor is again to keep the user engaged and help them discover content.
Content is king along with other distractions like this to keep users excited:
More discoverable the page is, naturally the traffic increases not just in mobile but desktops and tablets too.
- Affiliate Marketing: As you continue to build user’s trust, they will expect the products or services you mention to maintain the quality and standard of your feedback. Affiliate marketing is a fantastic way to make more revenue. Let’s say you are running a tech review platform. You are reviewing a phone and you leave a link in the bottom that will lead the users to buy the phone. Replace the scenario of a tech review platform to an automobile review forum or even household items – it could be anything that a customer is looking to buy and you’re a factor in their decision making.
As the number of page visitors increase and depending on your feedback of the product, you’re becoming an influencer. Marketeers will recognize you as they are always in the lookout to get their product or service featured across the web. Before you know it, marketeers will get in touch with you to review their product or service and you will get a hang of it. Ensure that you’re remaining true to your users. As long as you’re a good influencer for your users, they will appreciate your affiliate marketing and will generate more revenue for you. More number of products or service bought because of you, the company advertisers wouldn’t let you down.
- Premium Content: This is the differentiator where you’re creating a need for users to have special access to your content. Treat them like a rockstar with exclusive content and privileges. Mention that privileges several times so that the non-premium users clearly get to know. The key factor here is the content again. Content published in your platform has to have that exclusivity, that you buy any normal user’s attention who stumbles upon your content. From no-ads to access to exclusive content, privileges to certain functionalities like making the content available offline or access to higher quality of videos or images is a start for premium privileges. Reverse engineer the needs and get the exclusivity paid off.
- Sponsored Content: This is the king of it all. As the pageviews and unique visitors increase (your hard-work), your content delivery channel can be utilized directly by companies to get their content featured. Let’s say you run a travel blog. There will be thousands of travel and tourism agencies that will approach you to feature a sponsored content. Probably they will give you content for ’10 things to do in Sydney’, and towards the end they will add a link to their page which will lead a user to book tickets or hotels in Australia – just a random example for reference. Similarly, hotels and restaurants will reach out to food bloggers. Tech companies will reach out to gadget reviewers and tech blogs. What you need here is to ensure that the quality of content is matching all the standards and benchmark you created. You wouldn’t want to cheaply promote a company or a product – so review the content. Also, ensure that you are letting the users know that it is a sponsored content. Draw the line. Show the difference. The company will pay for the number page views.
Whole Story: There has to be a reason for the users to click an ad. Selling them something they don’t want is not going to cut it. Change the purpose of ads. Push them the need to click on it – which serves the purpose of reaching out to them at the first place. Maybe a click on the ad will give them a discount coupon. Or maybe that coupon gives you a discount the second time you make an order. Selling offer codes through an ad space is one way to engage the user.
AdSense is one of the best ad network platform available. There are several other platforms that you should check out. Feel free to ask for demos and identify the ad network platform that associates products and services close to the type of content you generate.
However, you can consider selling ad space directly. The advantage here is to having control of your ad space. Typically this is quoted for CPM, and you are getting a cut directly from the number of page views. Worry about this only if the traffic is low, otherwise this is a straight deal.
Re-share content from other popular channels and give reference to them (talk to them before you do this.) Associate with other leaders. This will create more channels for people to discover new content through your platform and probably others will also feature you as well. This increases unique visitors. Consider this as a win-win.
Test new UI elements that increase engagement! Improve discoverability! Generate exclusivity! Get the ad space to fit the screen! May the ad revenues be with you!
Looking for a technology partner to create an engaging mobile experience for your broadcast media company?